Search

Popular Posts

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Mitchell Family Potato Salad

8 medium Russet potatoes
10 hard boiled eggs, peeled and diced
3/4 cup finely chopped candied party pickles*
one large can olives, finely chopped
1 tsp. Lawry's seasoned salt
1 ¼ cup Miracle Whip
2 Tbs. yellow mustard
2 Tbs. milk
paprika

Boil potatoes with skins on for 12-18 minutes, until tender but firm (not mushy). Keep checking by pricking with a fork. After draining and cooling, remove skins and dice.
.
In a very large mixing bowl add potatoes, boiled eggs, pickles and olives. Sprinkle seasoned salt over the top. In a separate bowl, mix Miracle Whip, mustard and milk.

.
Mix dressing into salad well. Taste test and add more Miracle Whip until desired consistency is reached. Sprinkle top with paprika and chill.
.
.
*I use Storey's Sweet Memories distinctively flavored fancy candied party pickles which can be purchased at Macy's grocery store and possibly other Associated Foods stores. Sidenote--the picture is a stock photo. These pickles are a crazy bright neon green color and look realy fun in the salad!

4 comments:

Lorie said...

That looks good!

Tina said...

I would like to know how you got mom to give you the exact measurements I have been trying forever to get it! LOL

Emily said...

Tina, I have been trying to duplicate your mom's potato salad for twelve years now and just now have finally gotten pretty close. When I originally asked for the recipe, grandma Mitchell said, "Well, you just boil some potatoes, add in eggs and pickles, and make sure you add some milk with the salad dressing because you don't want it too dry." Your mom's instructions weren't much better!

I just measured what I've been putting in, grilled your mom on every minute detail of how she makes it, and came up with this. I had to post it because I made the salad for my friends a few weeks ago and they have been dying for the recipe ever since!

Alvey family said...

Yum! I can't wait to try this! I will have to look around for the pickles here since we don't have a Macy's. If I don't find them here I will have to have family bring them out.