Search

Popular Posts

Monday, March 1, 2010

Dress shopping and New Year's

Here's a picture of the caramel and chocolate dipped pretzel rods that I made with my mom and sister Joy to hand out as neighbor gifts. They took longer than I expected, so some neighbors got freezer jam instead. And some neighbors weren't home the afternoon of the 24th, so their pretzels probably got eaten off their front porch by the neighbor's dog. Anyway, I thought they turned out really cute! I love the sprinkles and gingerbread men (from the Peppermint Place). Maybe it's all a bit much, but isn't Christmas the time when it's okay to go overboard?


On December 29th we went shopping for a white dress for Faith to wear after her baptism (and, it turns out, every subsequent Sunday afterword for at least two months). We started out at Just Girl Stuff in Riverdale and found Faith's favorite dress, but it was too long and they didn't have her size. Also, my mom (who was buying--thanks!) thought it was a little too fancy for church. You can barely see me and my mom in the background of this photo and Buddy being an airplane in the wrap around mirror!

Next we went to Bliss in the Newgate Mall and Faith saw three that she liked. Here are the two that she didn't pick. You'll just have to wait for the next post to see what she got!


After two years of problems preempting the Braegger New Year's Party necessitating us holding a get together at our house and going to Tony's parents' several weeks later, it finally worked out this year! There was amazing food--Tammy always splurges on Chili's baby back ribs, plus we had funeral potatoes, barbeque beans, cole slaw, green bean casserole, jello salad and loaded brownies. We all love to watch Faith and Christian devour some ribs!

After many years of being absent from the celebration, we welcomed the old tradition of Windsor Hills WINGO! Lana played this at their ward (Windor Hills) Christmas party long ago and then we played it for years on New Year's Eve. It's just bingo but you draw pictures from a list of choices for each letter on your card. They're all holiday things like candy cane, stocking, wreath, mittens, candle, bell, etc. There's a basket of goodies from the dollar store for the winners, and we play until everyone has won once or twice. It was some nostalgic fun to dig out our old cards that we had drawn (and make fun of everyone else's) and the kids went wild for it!

On the way to grandma's house we'd thrown together some sparkly pipe cleaner 2010 glasses and Tammy had hats and party goods to complete the look.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!

We played lots of Boggle and Faith did really well!

We were dying over the cuteness of how Buddy fell asleep holding this big, bubblegum flavored candy cane. It reminded me of the Who children in How the Grinch Stole Christmas, so I pushed the bottom of the cane up before pulling it out of his little hand :)

We rang in the new year with the ball dropping in Times Square on TV and headed home. After all, we hadn't seen Crumpet and Dusty since the previous year :D

2 comments:

Liz said...

My favorite picture is of your little buddy flying in the mirror as Faith is trying on her dress. Perfect!
I'm glad that you had a great NEW YEARS!

Jenn J. said...

I LOVED the pretzel rods. I almost called and demanded more! :) They were SO good and the perfect texture. I must get the recipe.
Also, I want to see the final dress selection! (Although I think I might have already seen her wearing it at church... if so, the one I saw was SOOO cute!!)