Search

Popular Posts

Friday, September 5, 2008

I hate politicians

Because I don't want to offend anyone, I purposely limit the amount of political material I put on my blog, but I have to post something about how frustrated I am by both the Democrats and the Republicans. It seems to me that both sides consist almost entirely of sleazy liars who reside firmly in the back pocket of big business and want the governemt to control absolutely everything in our lives.

I hate how both condemn the other party for any little thing they can find negative about it, but defend those very same things about themselves. Like how the Republicans bashed Obama for his lack of experience, and then brought in Palin for VP, and now the Dems are bashing her for it! Experience is usually a good thing, but in politics, it just seems to corrupt. I really wish that we had more than two major parties--it wouldn't solve all our problems, but at least it would give us something more than just the two extremes.

In this sea of craziness, ironically, the only "fair and balanced" news program I have found is actually a fake news program. Jon Stewart & his team at The Daily Show make fun of both sides and do a great job of it. I especially enjoyed this the other night when they were reporting from Denver: (my favorite part starts at about 7 minutes in, also be warned that it may not be for kids)



I would post my favorite Daily Show segment making fun of the GOP, but it was a gag about the reason they held their convention in Minnesota (answer: so Republicans can party in the Minneapolis airport men's room--"the Larry Craig" bathroom), and I try to keep my blog family friendly ;D But I also loved it the other night, when, at the end of his interview with Mike Huckabee, Stewart summed up, "So, you think that your party is the only one that can fix the damage that your party has done." Huckabee responded, "Um, . . . yeah, I guess you could put it that way" and chuckled.

I'm still not sure who I will be voting for (to the frustration of my staunchly Republican, O'Reily & Hannity-loving mother), but over the next few weeks I will do my best to figure out which is the lesser of two evils. Feel free to leave enlightening comments.

5 comments:

Netty said...

Emily...

I LOVE your blog. It's incredible. The Thomas cake is darling too. WoW!!!

I completely agree with your opinion about politics too. I wish there were more than 2 parties. They are both BLAH!

KodaFit said...

It's a sad day when the best news cast is on Comedy Central. Of course there is much humor to be found in politics, it's just no as funny when you get to live with it to.

I've been going though some serious Jon Stewart withdrawls this last week...

Alvey family said...

I couldn't agree more. Did you see the Sarah Palin act on SNL last weekend? It was quite funny. I think I'll embed it on my blog. It's sad that the comic relief shows are the our source of happy information in this crazy election. I like hearing your political opinion - keep the posts coming.

Parkinson Party of 7 said...

Politics gives me anxiety because they all lie, but the more I see stupid drunk actresses and actors in Hollywood hating Palin, the more I find myself liking her!!! I am just laughing at all of the comments on TV though, especially Lindsay Lohen and Pamela Anderson....I mean really!!!!

Liz said...

John Stewart is my fav news program too! I just love that he cuts through all of the crap in a lovely sarcastically bitting way! Em, you know I LOVE politics but I can totaly understand your frustration. Just make sure to check out NPR every once in a while along with John.