Search

Popular Posts

Friday, July 9, 2010

What we were up to in May

Here's how we celebrated Cinco de Mayo: chicken enchiladas (the totally mormonized version with cream of chicken soup--should probably not even count as a Mexican dish), seven layer dip, fruit salad and Guarana soda (which is Brazilian, does it get points for being from South America???  By the way, it's pronounced "gwah-rah-'nah", but we say it "gwah-rah-'nar-ah" in our family, mostly to make fun of my mom's mispronunciations.)  We even tuned our satelite to the salsa music channel! 

On May 6th Faith's fantastic teacher had a Mother's Tea where the kids performed, showed us the powerpoint they made for us, and served us cookies and punch.  It was so adorable!!

Here's one of my favorite numbers: The Insect Rap

Here are the lyrics so you can watch it again and join in!
I am an iiiiinsect.
I have a head, a thorax and an ab-do-men.
I have six legs to crawl on the ground,
(high voice) I have two antennae to feel around.
I started as an egg, so tiny and small
And a larva, where I eat and crawl
Inside my pupa, where I rearrange
Into an adult, in the final stage.
I am an iiiiinsect.
I have a head, a thorax and an ab-do-men.

On the 8th Faith and I picked up our Bountiful Basket that Joy had so sweetly ordered for us.  It was awesome!  You pay $15 and get a "grab bag" of assorted fruit and veg.  We ended up with a watermelon (we had already eaten most of it before I thought to take a picture), apples, tangerines, mangoes, green peppers, tomatoes, broccoflower, romaine lettuce, spinach and corn.

Here Christian is celebrating the sprouting of our seeds.  Unfortunately, they just got stringy and gangly after that and only two survived after being planted in our garden.  Right now they don't look like they'll last another week :(  Little premature there, mister "Mission Accomplished".

I took Buddy for a throat culture after this Mother's Day Lowe's project because Joy had just come down with strep and Christian said his throat hurt.  Luckily it was just a virus and went away after a few days.

That day Tony started clearing the weeds out of the corner of our yard reserved for our garden.  VERY LARGE TASK.

Here is my version of Faith's tumbling picture taken just before her class photo on the 12th.  What a cutie!

On the 13th & 14th I was at PTA conference in Provo while my wonderful mom watched my kids.  Other than the president-elect's son breaking his arm on the first night necessitating her leaving with our ride to meet up with him at Primary Children's (he got surgery and is now doing great), every thing went well!  I got some helpful instruction, but the best part was the presentation by Michael Ballam (seated at the piano behind the announcer lady in this photo).  He was such a great speaker and performer!  I had a fun night away with the ladies, but was glad to be back with my sweeties.

Here's Buddy's favorite activity at Faith's soccer games:  playing in the dirt.

Faith learned the very helpful skill of lawn mowing!

Christian's skills=not as helpful.

Tony spent the 15th hauling three pickup truck beds full of compost from the landfil to our back yard where we unloaded them into the garden.  It was very low so it needed that much to reach the bottom of the fence.  Looking good at this point!  We still had to wait for the nights to warm up till we dared to plant.

At one point Christian's shirt got muddy and he took it off.  He took one look at his neon white, skinny torso and said, "I wook wike Edward!"

Keeping in mind that he'd recently seen new moon, I totally understood how this (see photo below) could haunt a person's thoughts :)  But don't worry Buddy, you definately don't look this scary. 

Faith was taking some drawings down from her bedroom walls and I wanted to get a pic of this great owl that she'd drawn in school a few months ago.  Check out that detail!

The kids started having "sleepovers" (or as Christian calls them "weepovers") in the family room in their sleeping bags on the weekends.  Something about this picture tells me they get a little less sleep this way. 

Buddy has been playing a bit more Wii and XBox (Lego Batman) than board games lately, but he still likes to kick it old school on a regular basis.  Here is his victory dance after winning a round of Littlest Pet Shop:


When we were getting in our car at the library, the scent of these lilacs drew us out and across the parking lot to sniff them.  Buddy looks a bit wary because he'd just seen a giant bumblebee enjoying them as well.

My favorite sandwich is this: a piece of toasted bread topped with mayo, alfalfa sprouts, avacado, deli turkey and sliced mozarella broiled to melt the cheese.  It's similar to the "foul play" sandwich at the Greenery restaurant in Rainbow Gardens at the mouth of Ogden Canyon.  Christian, however, prefers to graze the sprouts.

Here is our front yard on the 23rd after planting our flower beds.  Pretty!  (Notice that I finally got smart and moved the tomato plants to our wagon to make the daily treks easier.)  Spoiler alert: (highlight the following lines with mouse to read) Those two beautiful pots of flowers on our porch no longer look so lush.  Or even alive. RIP.

No comments: