Search

Popular Posts

Saturday, October 3, 2009

last half of August

I have been so busy the last month and a half with volunteering in Faith's class, PTA stuff (I'm the membership chair and have been spending 10-20 hours a week doing advertising, data entry, and a contest trying to get people to join PTA), running my new preschool, and of course being a homemaker, wife and mom, that I've hardly even been on the computer except for working on those things!!!! I need to update my blog because it's my journal, but be forewarned that this post will just have choppy, short explanations for the pictures. Now that my PTA contest has ended, I should start having a little bit more time on my hands (I hope).

August 15th we planned a fun day at the Davis County fair. We started out at Sam's Club for a lunch of free samples and dessert of triple berry sundaes. I love that when we just buy one, but ask them to split it into two cups, you end up getting almost two full sundaes :)
At the fair, the bunnies were a big hit.

We also liked checking out the chickens,

especially the crazy chickens with 80's rock band hair.

We saw lots of John Deere tractors.

The main attraction for us was the giant petting zoo. Of course they had goats,

but they also had cows (even giant Texas Longhorns) and unusual animals from all over the world like this crazy looking, long haired bovine.
It was a fun, nearly free day and the weather was beautiful.
.
A few weeks ago, Tony got himself a Nerf machine gun to defend himself in fights with the kids.

(they got guns for Christmas).

Somehow both kids inherited the "eating Granny Smith apples with salt is delicious" gene from their dad.


On August 18th I went to the Social Security office to change my name. For the last 17 years my last name has legally been "Bragger" and I was finally annoyed enough to get it changed. I just didn't notice the misspelling on my SS card after I changed it to my married name, and nobody else did either until we started e-filing our taxes to the IRS a few years ago and their computer said my name and social security card number didn't match. Anyway, I thought maybe I could correct it online these days, and after that approach failed, I called in. I told them that since it was their fault (I had spelled it correctly on the form and it was also correct on my marriage license) they should change it over the phone. The guy said that if I had called within 90 days of getting it changed then they would have, but since it had been so long that I would have to "just run into the Social Security office and show them your driver's license" to get it corrected.
.
Well, guess what? When I stepped into the office, there were about fifty people waiting in the room!!! I ended up having to wait for over an hour just to get up to the window to show them my license. Since when is that "running in"???!!?????? Anyway, they kids got extremely bored and started running around. A giant security guard told me that they don't like kids running in and out like that, but I was so wound up and irate at that point that, instead of rounding them up, I just screamed out the door, "You guys better cut that out or this police man's gonna take you to jail!" Then I scuzzed that guy off, royally. I know, not one of my better moments, but I'm usually the most patient, polite person in a waiting room. Just this time I'd been lied to about how long it would take (or I would never have even taken the kids) and I was only there to correct THEIR mistake.
,
Didn't I say I was only going to offer short clips of commentary this time? Well, I guess I'm unable to do that through an entire post, hehe. Anyhoo, after the crazy security guard debacle, Christian started getting tired and I snuck a pic of him snuggling up to Faith and laying his head on her shoulder. (By the way, the darkness on his shirt is water from the water fountain just outside the room. That's where he and Faith kept running to.)
Of course, when he saw the camera come out, he had to start making faces.
And getting silly again!

August 22nd the kids made a school bus for the Lowe's craft. If you're interested, sign up HERE. (you're welcome, Jenn)
Then we went to Zeppe's to get an Itallian water ice. It's like a slush that's the consistency of ice cream--so yummy! Zeppe's is located right across main street from Hobby Lobby in Layton.
They were having a photo contest, so I submitted this one:

August 24th was Faith's first day of 2nd grade. She had me so her bangs special, over to the side that day. I'm glad that was the last time she asked for that :)


The next night was "Back to School" and in addition to manning my section of the PTA table for part of the night, I also got to see Faith's classroom. I signed up to help with centers (where the class of 29 breaks into five groups and does activities that would be hard to do with them all together) and now go in for an hour & a half every week.
On the 26th, we went to Joy & Jordan's for a night of "Jokes and Juggling" because it was J week for Sierra. First the kids played on the swingset,
but Faith got stung by a wasp on her ankle and needed to go inside to be consoled by grandma.

Soon, she was fairly recovered and the excitement began! Here's Eric doing some impressive juggling.
And here are some quick samples of the kids' jokes:

Because we didn't get Faith's welcome letter from her teacher (guess it got lost in the mail), I was a little late getting her supplies. Here Faith's showing how I wrote her name in micro-tip sharpie on each and every colored pencil and marker, and then wrapped clear packing tape around so it won't wear off (thanks for the idea, Sarah!).

The new attraction to playing on our bed is that Faith figured out how to tie our sheets into a hammok. What will they come up with next?

Christian's third birthday was September 1st! As soon as Tony got home, he ripped into his presents from us. Here's lots of playdough and accessories.

The big one is like a tee ball set, but the ball hangs down instead of sitting on a tee.

Then we had dinner of his choice: spaghetti and corn on the cob.

We were doing a fancy cake at the grandparents' on Sunday, but I asked him what cake or treat he would like for his actual birthday. He said he wanted "kispy treats, and wif chocolate on a top." Not sure where he got this idea since we'd never done that before, but they were good!
Lots more of his continued birthday celebration coming up next post.

3 comments:

April said...

Well no wonder why I haven't seen anything new posted from you. BUSY WOMAN! Fun stuff

April said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Parkinson Party of 7 said...

Lots of fun stuff! We miss you guys too. We don't have any plans that afternoon so that sounds great. We can't wait! Keep the updates coming, especially since we don't get together much durning the school year :( By the way, how is preschool going??????